Sunday 18 April 2010

South America - Part II

Pako, he is a local legend in Porterillos Photo: Jacqui Whitehead

So with the ''serious'' paddling in Chile out of the way Sonny, Ali, Zac and I all made it up to Porterillos in one piece after saying goodbye to the Spanish guys (Aniol, Jordi and Pinto), as well as Carine and Arturo in Mendoza.

Trust that Jordi won the wine when playing Bingo on the bus ride from Futa!
Photo: Jacqui Whitehead

Bathing in the Lake our first morning in Potre Photo: Jacqui Whitehead

Being completely wrecked from the journey we all expected an early night... I learnt very quickly there is no such thing as these in Porterillos! We ended up going to a big asado at Argentina Rafting our first night, followed by party after party, night after night! I met up with my good friend Diego (known to most Argentine's as Cindi) and spent 2 weeks living in my tent in his backyard with the Rios Andinos boys Emi, Oso (and ladies - Mili). Potre was such a different experience to Futa. The river was super fun, simple continuous class 3. I would go to work with the boys each morning and go kayaking with the trip then relax in the afternoon by the pool or go for a hike, hang out with my new friend Petra (a Dutch backpacker) and then we would start out night off about 10pm with dinner, drinks and partying.

Sonny relaxing and checking out the ladies Photo: Jacqui Whitehead

Rios Andinos making their way down the Rio Mendoza
Photo: Jacqui Whitehead

Petra and I waiting for the boys to get off the river

'Bet you can't do this!' Diego watches Andrew show him the moves
Photo: Jacqui Whitehead

Enjoying the afternoon sun in Diego's garden

My first weekend in Porterillos was right when River Week was. This was another kayak festival which was fun, very well organised and had lots of really great prizes as well as dinner on 2 of the nights. My friend Ali from Slovenia did really well at this festival and won both the kayak slalem and down river kayak races.

Above: Boys from Tucuman in the rafting race Photo: Jacqui Whitehead

Below: Sol and I at River Week
Fabian, Diego, Edgar, myself and Petra at River Week

I would have liked to spend a lot more time in Porterillos, but due to limited time I decided to go traveling alone for a little bit to check out Iguazu Falls then I met up with Edgar (a local from Tucuman) and Petra in Tucuman and did some canyoning and was shown how the locals in Tucuman like to party before making my way back to Buenos Aires and spending my last night with Sonny with 2 of his local friends eating a fine Argentine steak with a glass of Gancia.

Making the most of a rainy day at Iguazu Falls on the Argentine side


About to get completely drenched in a boat ride which took us right under the falls

The sun finally started to come out!

I really enjoyed my time in Argentina and was really wish I could have spent a lot more time here and learnt some Spanish as well as do some more kayaking in Mendoza, Tucuman and check out the Lakes District (due to the expense of traveling with a kayak on the bus it made it really hard to stop in Bariloche so that will have to be next time!). I will come back to this wonderful place one day!

Karen and Petra trying to learn some Spanish!

No comments:

Post a Comment