Sunday 22 September 2013

Lessons Learnt in Copenhagen: #1 Pizza is very bad for you!

The rest of the week in Copenhagen there was perfect weather and more sun that I had seen in about 2 years! There are what we would call in Australia 'sea baths' in some area which are basically free swimming pools with a decking area. The main site is The Harbour Pool at Islands Brygge but we found an even nicer, quieter area in the district of Vesterbro near the fish markets.

'Where are you Jacqui?' 'I'm in that big graveyard'. I wonder if Tim Burton has been here before? Assistens Cemetery

One day I cycled past Nørrebro to have a look around as there were meant to be some trendy shops in the area. It was a little disappointing but I decided to take a look around Assistens Cemetery whilst waiting to meet up with Casper. Casper thought I was a bit strange for being in a cemetery but what some people don't know this is where Hans Christian Andersen is buried.


Assistens Cemetery

Assistens Cemetery

Assistens Cemetery
Assistens Cemetery is absolutely huge that you need a fair bit of time to explore - or maybe it was just me because I found it so amazing as some of the sites ranging from delux graves to the overgrown sites below. I just had to stop and take photos! I didn't get time to find Hans Christian Andersen's burial site but in all fairness it was hard to find as the signs lead the way but the site wasn't marked out.
Assistens Cemetery
Seeing something like The Little Mermaid didn't really appeal to me but watching all the tourists line up to get their photos taken with the small statue did. Bus loads of tourists come by each day to see this statue and there are so many souvenirs for something that is only a small part of Copenhagen. For me when I now think Copenhagen I think of sun, sitting in one of the marvelous parks for a picnic, swimming, trendiness, nightlife and alcohol. Although I didn't get the opportunity to go out at all in Copenhagen you will spot many Danes sitting along the canal, in the park, or on a boat drinking a beer or few.
Skt Alban Church

Kastellet

Kastellet

Skt Alban Church

The Geflon Fountain

Skt Alban Church and The Geflon Fountain

Skt Alban Church

Pretty view from the gardens around Kastellet


I found the gardens around Kastellet more interesting than the Little Mermaid. As a photographer there are so many angles you can shoot Skt Albans Church at, each making the church like a completely different building. There are also views that people would overlook such as the one above.

Skt Alban Church

The Geflon Fountain

Gardens nearby The Little Mermaid

The Little Mermaid. Many, many people and busloads more come to see this rather over rated statue. I went more to see all the tourists go look at it.

Reminded me of the Ugly Duckling which is rather fitting seems Hans Christian Anderson lived in Copenhagen.

I like taking photos of ducks recently 
After spending some time at the pool one day I cycled with Casper to the kayak club and sat down by the docks while he was training. Although the view is quite industrial it is a little Oasis from the everyday hustle and bustle of Copenhagen. It reminded me of the days back when I used to row in Melbourne.

View from sitting outside the boat sheds in Copenhagen, reminds me of when I used to row in Melbourne.

Casper's favourite place in Copenhagen - down by the boat sheds for kayaking & rowing

Frederiksberg Castle

Frederiksberg Gardens

Frederiksberg Gardens


Frederiksberg Gardens

Frederiksberg Gardens

One of my favourite photos from the Frederiksberg Gardens. Vibrant colours that remind me of a Van Gough painting.

Frederiksberg Gardens
Tivoli Gardens is something that is beautiful in a Dolce & Gabbana kind of way. Similar to Luna Park in Melbourne all of the old buildings have been kept and restored. There are many amusement park rides which Casper had said a plain out no from the beginning of mentioning Tivoli, restaurants and a concert area where every friday night a different artist or band performs in.

Tivoli - Reminding me of Walt Disney

Tivoli

Tivoli
Above you can see part of one of the rollercoasters at Tivoli. In Australia you pretty much need to go to one of the theme parks in Queensland to be able to ride on a rollercoaster that will take you upside down. I also haven't been on a proper rollercoaster since I was about 14. Casper had the expression on his face that I could possibly convince him to go on it and I managed to get him on at least one ride in Tivoli. Lucky for me he enjoyed it as much as me! Unfortunately the ride was way too short and we both wished it could of lasted a bit longer than the maybe almost 60 sec it took.

Tivoli

Tivoli

Tivoli

Tivoli Concert area

Tivoli
I enjoyed Copenhagen and it is a city I could see myself living in. It seems very social, clean, active, trendy and people seem to be aware of the environment - hence the well planned bike paths all over the city. I just need to get my head around the difference in language compared to Norwegian and Swedish!

No comments:

Post a Comment