Tuesday 8 October 2013

Happy 2nd Birthday Dreadlocks!

On Saturday my dreads turned 24 months old. People without dreads might find it strange that I know exactly when my dreadlock's Birthday is, or the fact I even consider them to have a Birthday. Majority of people with dreads keep track of the age of their dreads for many reasons. For me they have become a part of who I am and each dread has changed over time (becoming thicker, misshaped, twisted or other funky lumps and bumps which I love because you can run your hands through your hair and know exactly which dread it is you're holding!)

I have put together a timeline of my dreads from when I first started them. Unfortunately I don't have that many photos of my hair so you can't see the major changes my dreads have gone through. A few interesting things I've done over the past year was 'tip dying' the ends of my dreads bright fushia pink (I've done it twice in the past - it's all washed out right now), sewing in little charms (yep you can sew them in like in arts and crafts). Some beads have fallen out and now my dreads are getting too thick to add new ones. Another cool thing is because my dreads have become longer I can now braid it back like you could with 'normal' hair - this has come in handy with work because you can 'hide' your dreads and not make them as obvious, although dreads are a lot more common these days and becoming more accepted.

October 2011 - Overnight trip on the Trisuli River in Nepal. My dreads were only a few days old.

November 2011. Orientation day at Coast Mountain Photography in Whistler. Dreads ~ 6+ weeks (Photo By James Allan)
Photo taken by Andrea Hunter during winter in Whistler 2011/2012
Typical Blue Bird day on Whistler Mountain - March 2012

Bungee jumping at Whistler Bungee during winter 2012
Photo boating on the Sjoa River in Norway during summer 2012.
Hiking in some 'backyard' mountains in Heidal with my best friend Erika - Sep 2012

Glacier trekking in Norway - June 2013

Mushroom picking with my friend Anna in Sweden - July 2013

Almost as if the dreads were never there (they are well hidden behind my bandana) - The Hauge, July 2013

No comments:

Post a Comment